[pct-l] Maps

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun May 6 18:22:51 CDT 2012

My experience with USGS maps is that the trail is always on the
corner of the map. Here is a really weird link to the USGS map store.
If you dig around, you may find the section of their site that lets
you download USGS map PDFs. These would be very difficult for you to
print yourself, but you can at least look at them and decide if
ordering USGS maps is worthwhile.
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/start/%28xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd%
29/.do

Here's a tiny url in case you can't figure out that strange link:
http://tinyurl.com/2amk8e4

Some hikers I met in Washington used Green Trail Maps. In my opinion,
these were superior to Halfmile's maps (no offense) mostly because
there were so many more trails and they were big maps.

Personally, I will admit that I rarely ever looked at a map at all
along the entire trail. I did use the WP Guide book and the Data
Book, but rarely even looked at the maps in there. Before the worry
worts start squirming, let me say that I did have maps with me. I
sometimes even picked up extra maps at ranger stations and printed
them out from computers, too. But I almost never needed to look at them.

Diane