[pct-l] Fw: mailing fuel and bear spray/bear hunting

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 08:09:13 CDT 2012

I lived north of the town of Mendocino for 34 years. We also had a ranch near Comptche, 15 miles inland. I have both hiked and ridden horses all over that region, including Jackson State Forest. While there are lots of bears in the forests there, I have never experienced an aggressive bear that would approach me or my camp. They invariably run away when they see you. They have a fear of humans. They know that humans might have guns and shoot them. Bear hunting happens there. That keeps the bears wild.

For those interested, type in on search:    Bear woman Mendocino County       Laytonville is more that 70 miles inland from our ranch.  Glad she was so far away.  What she was doing was similar to what Sierra Park Rangers once did so the tourists could see the bears. That was the start of bear problems in the Sierra backcountry. Of course, Rangers no longer feed bears and the problem is diminished. When I was at Tuoloume Meadows last September, two problem campground bears had been trapped two days before. It was probably a death sentence for them. The reason they were in the campground was that campers were careless with food.

MendoRider