[pct-l] Oregon snow level

PNW Hiker pnw.hiker at gmail.com
Fri May 11 22:54:26 CDT 2012

Be careful out there if you go into the Oregon snow this weekend - the
Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center just put out a special warning -
http://www.nwac.us/forecast/avalanche/current/zone/13/ ; (I kid you not)

*Serious Spring
It’s almost mid-May and snowdepths are dropping—
Temperatures are climbing and La Niña is stopping.
But still lots of snow left to warm, melt and settle—
A natural process in which you don’t want to mettle.
Glide cracks and cornices are opening and falling—
And require extra care so its not you they are mauling.
There is ample wet snow that slides gouge and entrain—
Forming big debris piles and maybe death or great pain.
And a large spring slide cycle may yet be in the works—
As ripe snow by the ton on steep slopes still lurks.
Light winds, sun and warmth may be great for your mind—
But are not so good for the snowpack you’ll find.
With freezing levels reaching 12K or higher—
>From Saturday thru Monday in wet snow you will mire.
Avoid slopes beneath cornices, and in chutes don’t stay—
Or if you must go there, travel fast and pray.
Avalanches starting and flowing from higher elevations—
Have growth and descent as part of their equations.
So take time, care and thought when you travel this spring—
For snow seeking its source some trauma may bring.*