[pct-l] Castle Crags to Ashland

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Fri May 11 23:08:34 CDT 2012

I've section hiked WA & OR and am now working my way through CA, starting with sections P, Q and R.  I've always used the PCT (Wilderness Press) guidebooks and now I also have Yogi's.  I have several questions:

1.  any suggestions on when to go to still have water available but without a ton of snow?  (I'm looking at July -- is that too early?)
2.  how reliable are the water sources listed for these sections in the PCT guidebook and in Yogi's Handbook -- a bunch of them sounded pretty iffy.
2.  planning to stay overnight in Etna -- is it hard to get a ride there or back to the trail?
3.  a local from Seiad Valley suggested walking Seiad Creek Road up to Cook & Green Pass, as an alternative to the long, hot, steep actual PCT -- any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help.

--Susan from Spokane