[pct-l] mailing fuel

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Sun May 13 21:16:51 CDT 2012

I looked at the May 16, 2012 revisions to the US Postal Regulations. All the
changes I can find relate to Lithium batteries. Yup folks, sometimes lithium
batteries cannot be shipped by air. I think this was a clarification of the
regulations as I remember Lithium batteries were restricted in the previous
regulations.

I believe my website (www.GottaWalk.com/shipping_fuel) is still correct
regarding the shipping of common long distance hiker fuels beyond May 16,
2012. I need to update my links to the new USPS website structure, but the
regulations regarding fuel have not changed.

I should probably add lithium batteries to the webpage.
It appears that lithium batteries are limited to 3 cells (batteries) per
package. Also each battery may contain a maximum of 1 gram of lithium per
battery (cell). I looked at my size AA lithium batteries and cannot find the
lithium content stated.
The short story is:
 1) lithium batteries shipped in the device they will power can be shipped
by air or ground and must be labeled "Package Contains Primary Lith­ium
Batteries". The package cannot weigh over 11 pounds.
 2) lithium batteries not shipped in the device they will power can only be
shipped by ground and must be labeled: "Surface Mail Only, Primary Lith­ium
Batteries — Forbidden for Transportation Aboard Passenger Aircraft".   The
package cannot weigh more than 5 pounds.

What this means to me: I should ship my lithium batteries in a flashlight
and my total package should weigh less than 11 pounds. (I wonder if our
re-supply packages weigh 11 pounds.) Or if I need a lot of batteries in the
re-supply box change to alkaline batteries.

Ken