[pct-l] Castle Crags to Ashland

Greg Hummel bighummel at aol.com
Tue May 15 15:35:24 CDT 2012

The Hackers and I hiked this section in two years; 2010 and 2011, from Etna Summit to Ashland in 2010; 120 miles in 8 days, and from Etna Summit to Castle Crags in 2011, 100 miles in 7 days. I would recommend you hike Nth to Sth, so that the huge elevation change at Castle Crags comes downhill on the last day, not up hill on your first.  Also, hiking southbound you run into more thruhikers heading north. The back side of the Crags are a geologist's dream, beautiful fracture lineations and domed granitic plutons.  The Marbles are cool for the sharp toothed caves and serpentine belts along some of the fault lines.  These times are for old, worn-out crusty cresters in our mid 50's, not ultralight, young, studs like we used to be!

Greg "Strider" Hummel

ate: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:56:30 -0400