[pct-l] Brooks Cascadia

John Coyle jcoyle at sanjuan.edu
Wed May 16 08:41:12 CDT 2012

Mango, I have a pair of Brooks Cascadia 5's on now.  They are an older model and I believe Brooks has Cascadia 6's and 7's now, and I'm not sure if the 5's are similar to the newer models.  Typically I will wear a pair of trail runners for one season and then use them at work, which is where I am now.  For hiking this season I am wearing a pair of Montrail AT Plus Hiking shoes, which I like because they are supportive and a little wider than normal.

Anyway, back to the Cascadia 5.  I would characterize it as slightly wider than normal, a true D width, very breathable with lots of mesh, good, but not spectacular traction, minimal toe bumper, and good rigidity.  As far as supination, pronation, I would call them neutral.  Overall, I liked it as a trail shoe. They had a cushy feel to them that is good on hard packed surfaces.  Fit is a personal thing, but for me I find a lot of the normal width trail running shoes pinch my little toes in spite of my supposedly normal D width.  The Cascadia 5's didn't pinch my toes.

Hope that helps.