[pct-l] Castle Crags to Ashland

amy b foglark at gmail.com
Wed May 16 01:54:09 CDT 2012

I hiked this section starting the first week of August in 2009 and thought
it was fantastic.  I was pretty out of shape and took my time, and it took
me about 2 weeks.  There was no snow on the ground and only a few flurries
one morning in the Russian Wilderness.  I think early July would be ideal
and there should be plenty of water at that time of year.  The climb out of
Castle Crags is brutal on a hot day (it was in the 90s) and there wasn't
much water between there and the Trinity Divide.  I think there was only
one creek still flowing on that stretch if I remember correctly.  The rest
of the trip had plenty of springs and small creeks for the most part, some
of which were full of cow pies.  I was glad I brought my filter.  The
wildflowers on this section are incredible as are the views of Mt. Shasta,
and the springs are full of cool Darlingtonia californica pitcher plants.

It was really easy getting a ride to and from Etna. Good food and beer in
town, and the hikers hut if it's still there is a great place to crash for
the night.  The climb out of Seiad Valley isn't bad if you start early in
the morning before it gets too hot.  Good, hearty breakfast at the cafe.