[pct-l] picture of n. side of Forester Pass 2 weeks ago

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri May 18 13:03:19 CDT 2012

Hi, Cathy!

I want to echo what Gary said in that the PNW knows its snow and what you
would learn up there would be easily translated to the Sierra maritime snow.
Taking a course up there would be convenient if you live there.

However, Mountain Education does offer snow skills course taught in the Lake
Tahoe area during the winter and spring months (if we have enough snow...).
www.mountaineducation.org

Watching videos of self-arrest will help you understand in your head what
you'll need to do reflexively should you fall on snow. The watching, in and
of itself, does not teach you how your body and muscles will have to react
when you're in that moment of chaos and confusion when you're tumbling or
sliding out of control down the slope toward the rocks and trees below.

Take a skills course wherever you are. Many college Outdoor Programs, retail
stores, or private wilderness schools teach it.

Learning what it takes to "walk" on spring consolidated snow is crucial to
your safety and general enjoyment. Who wants to worry about falling? Most
people who haven't had the experience, figure that since summer trail is
flat, so too will be the snow over it. Not so. The wind blows the snow into
all sorts of formations and angles that are added to the underlying
topography and make your "walking" over snow pretty tricky. Once you have
the feel of it, you won't be worrying any more, just cautious at the right
times.

The worst slopes are those you have to traverse. Going straight up or down
is not as risky. Maintaining your balance and traction on the sides of your
boots is the key to your success. Microspikes may "work" for some and on
some types of footwear, but not in our 30 years of teaching snow skills in
the sierra. Test everything (food, clothing, gear, skills, etc.) out for
yourself in order to decide what "works" for you.

With that in mind, go right now, while the current year's thrus are dealing
with the snow in the sierra, and see for yourself what you'll have to deal
with up there. The way sierra snow consolidates, settles, and melts out may
be far different than what happens to spring snow in other parts of the
country or world. We encourage our students who plan on hiking the PCT or
CDT to go into "the bowels of the beast" when they expect to be there the
following year to see what it's really like, to test their current skills in
the same conditions (types of snow, slopes, and creek crossings), and to
know what to plan for (gear, clothing, amount of food, types of footwear).

Don't rely on the comments of others who have only been there once or twice.
Snow conditions are different every year--they're even different every day
in the spring (some who pay attention to these things will tell you that
they change every hour because of the sun and ambient temperatures). How
people deal with the challenges of snow and creek crossings vary widely.
Listen to them all. Then go there yourself and learn on the real thing.
You'll be more confident, assured, relaxed, which will all lead to better
balance, traction, decisions, and sleep, making for more fun and enjoyment
of your experience on your "hike-of-a-lifetime."

We are always here, if you have any further questions regarding mountain
safety. This is what we do. Sorry that we couldn't make it to the Kickoff
this year to make our annual Mountain Safety Presentation with the lauded
Ken Murray. We are in the process of moving to Reno, NV to further our own
skills training into Nursing and Paramedic levels....

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, CA
www.mountaineducation.org