[pct-l] Sore knee

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat May 19 19:35:11 CDT 2012

I totally agree.  15  years ago I was playing tennis four or five times
a week and my knees started to swell and I devolved to hobbling and
lessening the number and intensity of my workouts.

I visited a sports medicine doc at the Univ of Washington who had a
bunch of magic wands in his tongue depressor jar.  I wondered why.

He pushed and pulled and twisted and had me stand and bend and in the
end he said, "Jeff, the problem with your knees is tight buns."

I laughed out loud and he explained that my gluteous maximus and
hamstring muscle groups were so tight that the they were not doing their
jobs.  The consequence was that my knees were trying to perform
functions they weren't designed to do.

He gave me two exercises that cured my knee problems in two weeks.

That said, I had minor foot problems as well, and reading up on foot
stuff, I self-diagnosed plantar fascitis issues.  I went back to him and
he asked me how long I'd done the two exercises.  When I said
religiously for a couple weeks til the knee pain went away, and then
less religiously, he said that if I'd've done them another two weeks my
foot pain would have gone away.  Same issue - the knees and feet were
reacting to the two tight muscles groups.

I did the exercises again and the foot pain went away.  Hence the magic
wands.

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD