[pct-l] Ride Suggestions Lee Vining to Sonora Pass

Ann Gerckens volunteer_ann at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 22 01:40:29 CDT 2012

Deems,
I don't care for hitching myself.
Your friends can definitely get from Lee Vining to Bridgeport as long as they
are traveling on one of the days the EST goes to Reno-Mon, Tues, Thurs and
Friday, I think.  They can probably even arrange to be dropped off at the
intersection of Rt 395 (road to Reno) and Hwy 108 (road to Sonora Pass). I've
used EST on several trips and they appear to be very user friendly.  However,
this still leaves them hitchhiking up the road.

For a fee, highsierrashuttle.com is probably an option.  Their website doesn't
list Sonora as one of their trailheads, but I met them there last summer.  They
quoted me $60 to take the 2 of us to Bridgeport if their client didn't show (at
that point 1.5 hours late) and our ride didn't show (he did).  This does not
strike me as an unreasonable price.  AT shuttles were running @$1 per mile when
I finished the trail in '98 and those people weren't running licensed, insured
shuttle businesses.  I think it is 38 miles from Sonora to Bridgeport.
Another possibility would be Craig Randall at the Leavitt Meadow Pack Station
craig at leavittmeadows.com, 530.495.2196.  If he's not interested, he might know
someone who is.  Don't expect an immediate response. There is no electricity at
the pack station so email has to done on a trip to town.
FYI...the woman from HighSierraShuttle said more than 50% of the people driving
to meet the shuttle at a trail head don't show up. How inconsiderate!

 Ann Gerckens

"We all struggle with something, you can either be paralyzed by it or take
action". - Patrick Dempsey, Remedy's Healthy Living, Winter 2011.