[pct-l] Another Question about Brooks Cascadia

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Thu May 24 12:48:31 CDT 2012

Hi:

I am a 60 year old long distance backpacker and have worked through the
issue of sore foot bottoms. I used to get really sore feet after about
10 miles of walking--this never plagued me when I was younger. What
evolved as a cure were:

1. Getting shoes that were several sizes larger than my old street
shoes--this allowed for expansion in my fore foot and the bones of the
feet weren't so crowded together. I also started wearing men's shoes
becasue it seems they are cut in the forefoot much more comfortabley
than women's shoes. I used to wear a woman's size 8 1/2 and now wear a
men's size 9 1/2.

2. I stopped wearing my custom orthotics which have zero padding on the
bottom. I am now wearing the Signature EV Ultra custom footbeds from
yoursole.com. They have maximum padding and also a great arch support. I
found out I don't need the custom arch support of the $400 orthotics.
The insoles mold to your feet after putting them in the oven to warm up
when you first get them.

3. I also wear a nylon liner sock and a "regular" sock (Smartwool hiking
sock). This provides extra cushioning and also prevents blisters,
although after I increased the size of my shoe blisters were a thing of
the past.

I never get blisters and the sore feet are negligible. I just finshed
hiking the 800 mile Arizona Trail and didn't get one blister. The tread
of that trail (when it exists) is a lot rockier than on the PCT and the
trail is not as well graded, so it was a real test of my shoes and
insoles.

I also use Merrill Moab Mids--I like the fact that they have a higher
top, so I don't have to wear gaiters. This helps keep dust out. Although
I haven't found dirt to be a contributing issue to blister formation for
myself. In the dusty desert sometimes the dust and sweat looked like mud
in between my toes. I change my socks every two days. Maybe it is also
because I also use a liner sock and regular sock. I also have a bunion
on my right foot and it has been no issue since I got larger shoes.

Happy Walking,

Fireweed