[pct-l] Another Question about Brooks Cascadia

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Thu May 24 13:55:41 CDT 2012

Eric:

There is a lot of dirt road walking on the AZT which is the ultimate
flat repetitive walking and I never noticed an increase in blister
proneness doing those sections. I have done the PCT--the longest section
was 1000 miles--the southern california desert and the state of
Washington--and didn't get blisters. There may be a correlation to
higher mileage and blisters, although many people hike high mileage and
don't get blisters on the AZT--doing 25-30 mile days. Even tho they
don't have to do high mileage days to finish, they still do.

Blisters happen because of a combination of many things--a"perfect
storm" that perhaps is brought to a head on the PCT. Perhaps social
pressure to hike high mileage and keep up with others on the PCT and
having to ignore discomfort without taking care of it for long periods
of time adds to the fact more people get blisters on the PCT. Plus the
heat of the desert is something hikers from back east may not have
experience with and that is the first section everyone tackles if they
hike from south to north. And I bet a lot of people change their hiking
shoes to more lighter weight, a different brand, etc. before they tackle
the PCT because tackling a trail so large seems to warrant revising
tried and true hiking gear.

Fireweed