[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 53, Issue 24

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu May 24 22:55:41 CDT 2012

Carolyn,  If you haven't tried trail runners instead using full blown
hiking boots I recommend trying  it.  They aren't for everyone but most who
switch don't go back.

Trail runners are about as cushioned as full boots - at least until they
break down, which happens after 5 to 8 hundred miles - depending on the
shoe.

As for dirt, I remember someone mentioning hiking the PCT was like hiking
through Kitty Litter all day.  Dust and dirt are unavoidable no matter what
you wear.

I have had only one or two minor blisters while using trail runners in ten
years of hiking.  Much less than with hiking boots. I am an older hiker -
just not an old hiker.

Blisters are usually caused from the combination of heat and moisture.
Breathable Trail runners cut down on both.

YMMV, HYOH and all the standard disclaimers.

Day-Late