[pct-l] trekking poles

K Sorbello ksorbello at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 20:03:00 CDT 2012

We backpacked across England and carried our packs on, but couldn't carry on our poles. We cut a small X in 2 tennis balls and stuck the ends in them after collapsing them as short as possible. Alternate so ends are at opposite ends to save space. PVC pipe works VERY well (my husband fashioned one for my daughter's field hockey sticks after 9-11, when the girls might be terrorists with their dangerous field hockey sticks!) and you can glue caps on one end, and have the other end threaded. Only problem is that United Airlines can break anything unbreakable. And anything that is not regulation "normal" luggage is not covered under damage policies of most airlines. They broke it twice. Other airlines did better. You can also get a cheap gun case for your poles and check it if you can keep your pack small enough to carry on. You can remove the top section (on some packs) which counts as your "purse" (or "personal item" for macho guys) to make it fit regs.  It's also an extra incentive to downsize your gear! :)

On the way home we check the whole lot, pulling our straps to the back, around the pack, and cinching them all tightly then using one of the giant bags, but we have also checked them without the bags, cinching all the straps fully, and been ok.

My daughter is a major traveler and wears a pretty big pack onto planes all the time.