[pct-l] What Do Bicyclists Think?

TrailLover at Tassociates.com TrailLover at Tassociates.com
Thu Nov 1 14:07:42 CDT 2012

Dear PCT-L Subscribers:

If you're reading this post, I'll be surprised. In the past, the PCT-L administrator has banned me
from posting because I have expressed views favorable to the idea of sharing parts of the PCT with
bicycles. But I thought I should try one more time.

As you may or may not know, PCT-L members who make positive statements about bicycles are routinely
banned from the list. The unfortunate result is that many questions or concerns that are directed at
cyclists either go unanswered or they simply attract unqualified or erroneous responses from the
anti-sharing voices who enjoy unfettered access to the list.

PCT-L subscribers deserve better information and a more robust discussion of this important topic.
Many legitimate concerns are expressed on the PCT-L, ranging from trail user safety to environmental
effects to social and cultural impacts. Would you like to know what the cycling community actually
thinks about those issues? Would you like to know why? Would you like to know why cyclists are
interested in the PCT at all? I think you deserve thoughtful and courteous answers.

Because the PCT-L no longer serves as a forum for such a discussion, I'd like to encourage anyone to
visit the either the Facebook page set up by some of the trail-sharing folks
(https://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct) or their website (http://www.sharingthepct.org/). While
both those sites are obviously oriented positively towards the prospect of potentially sharing parts
of the PCT with cyclists, I think you can feel comfortable posting whatever respectful questions you
may have and you should expect to receive respectful replies. Of course, the public at large can
also comment so there's no guarantee that the discourse will always remain civil. Except for plainly
inflammatory posts or obvious attempts to spam the site, neither of the sites will censor you. You
deserve to be heard. And you deserve to be answered.

I expect that I will now be banned from making any further posts so I'll simply wish you all good
luck and happy trails.

Thank You,

TrailLover