[pct-l] Worst parts of the trail and ways to get through them

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 15:46:44 CDT 2012

Let me add to Steel-Eye's excellent logic regarding "shared gear".

If, as my wife and I do when hiking together, we "share" a tent and kitchen,
we are careful not to divide the components of each system amongst
ourselves, because separations do occur - both intentionally and
unintentional. We both are happier walking at our own pace.

CAVEAT: wise are they who do not pass a trail junction, signed or not, until
the person behind them arrives or at least comes close enough to be easily
seen AND acknowledges having seen them. You'll get fewer unintentional
separations, greater hiking efficiencies, and greatly reduce stress levels
that way.

Accordingly, whoever carries the tent carries it all - poles, pegs, lines,
tent body, fly, stuff sack, etc.) Logic says that if we split the components
to achieve some target weight or bulk, the tent poles and pegs the one
carries are rather useless without the tent body and fly in the other's pack
when the need for shelter arrives. Ditto the cook pot when the stove and
fuel are on the other person's pack.

While we share one water purification method on the trail, the person
without the equipment carries 6 chlorine dioxide tablets in case we are
separated for a short period.

Other than that, we each carry our own chosen gear kit. Food weight is
distributed as needed to keep each person's pack weight at a comfortable
level or in line with their physical carrying capability.