[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Sun Nov 4 22:43:36 CST 2012

When the forest service bans open fires it includes stoves with no shut-off
valve. That is why most alcohol stoves are not allowed.

Also gathering of wood is not allowed above 10,000 feet +/- in the high
sierra.

I didn't see any answer to your question about hitting the sierra in April.
The normal expected entry date for the sierra is June 15th. Of course this
varies by year, but with the equipment thru-hikers carry June 15th is what
to expect. Some people on this list have entered the sierra before that
date, but that means carrying heavier gear, clothing, tent, more fuel,  etc.
Also you can expect that normal re-supply points in the sierra would not be
open - Muir Ranch, VVR, Reds Meadow, Tuolumne Meadows. (Guess that doesn't
affect you.) I wouldn't expect to see much wildlife in the sierra at that
time of the year either.

Good luck on your planning.

Ken