[pct-l] (no subject)

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:22:25 CST 2012

With respect to registration for Kick Off, don't worry.  Thru hikers are always welcome and a place found in order to accommodate them.  I would still attempt to notify them or reserve a place, perhaps through your hiking partner, friend or family member as logistics for Kick Off are likely to become inexorably more complicated as more thrus make the attempt.  Incidentally, there is a ride board that will hopefully allow you to catch a ride from, and back to, whichever point on the trail you have reached at the time Kick Off starts.

I would suggest that you might want to reconsider having too early a start date  depending on when specifically you were thinking of beginning  Generally, there is more than enough time to get to Kennedy Meadows for a timely transit through the Sierra, if you depart from Lake Moreno after the ADZPCTKO. Otherwise, two months for 700 miles could be a bit much unless you're planning to get in hiking shape on the trail itself. If you haven't done a long distance hike before you'll be amazed how much ground you'll cover after a few weeks on the trail.

What would make me endorse an early start is if you were coming directly from England and it was a hot year in the desert, which, in any event, is more often than not forested mountains or wooded hills. However, if you're coming from having spent time recently in Ethiopia, I assume that you'll be fairly well acclimated to the conditions that you'll encounter.

Just my two cents.

Gourmet

Sent from my iPad