[pct-l] Packs & Base Weight

patrick griffith patrickjgriffith at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 03:45:45 CST 2012

 Dear all,

I am planning my PCT adventure for 2013 and am in the kit buying stage. I have done a lot of camping/hiking in some pretty arduous places in my time but not over 5 months, so some kit is new to me, the ultralight backpack being a prime example. I am leaning toward an osprey kestrel 66-68 weighing in at about 1.7kg, I know this is heavy from an ultralight standpoint however i would prefer something more rugged and robust that I know is up to the job. Also, given as the LNT philosophy is one that I believe in, I will not be hacking and killing my way up the trail as some threads in the mailing list seem to be trending, so obviously need something that can take the weight. So for all you PCTers and long distance hikers what packs did you use and with what base weight ie without food and water?

Thanks

Patrick