[pct-l] Packs & Base Weight

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:28:53 CST 2012

I started the PCT with an Osprey Exos which began seriously breaking down
500 miles into the deserts.  I bought an Osprey Aptos which did me through
the Sierra and all the way to Ashland but was heavier than I wanted and
caused me to stoop forward due to the mesh back that is so great for air
flow, but pushes the center of gravity back just enough to cause me to have
to stoop forward to compensate.  I tried on a friends ULA Circuit the first
day out of Ashland and stood straight up!  It has proved to be the most
comfortable and rugged pack I've ever owned.  I just finished the CDT with
it and counting other trips it's got about 5,000 miles on it and I'll be
using it next year again.  On the CDT I hiked 1,800 miles with Eric Bow who
has hiked the PCT, FLT, AZT, AT and CDT all in just over two years and all
with the same circuit.  They are built to last.  He still loves his as
well.

As for weights, my base is 15lbs or so and with water weight sometime
carrying a full gallon over New Mexico and a computer (which I don't add
into my base as I jetisoned it at the beginning of the San Juans), and
food, I'd bet my I topped 35lbs at times, maybe 40 for a first day after a
resupply.  That's overpacked and over weight for a Circuit, yet it did well
and was always comfortable.  Don't just buy what you find at REI.  Check
out the Ultra light companies first.  They will mail you items to try and
take them back if you don't find them comfortable.  Read Yogi's guide for a
list of them and lots of critiques.

Good luck,

Shroomer