[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:06:39 CST 2012

Eric wrote:

If one foraged for food the whole way it would probably take a year to
complete the trail.

Right, but you don't have 12 months to complete the trail, you only have 5
or 6 for a traditional thru-hike. When significant snow is on the ground
your ability to travel is severely curtailed, not to mention that most of
the potential food would be buried or hibernating.  I think doing this kind
of project in large sections over several years (say maybe 700 miles a year)
would be a far more feasible idea.  It's the combination of foraging and a
one-season thru-hike that's practically impossible.

I'd rather take one deer or pig, and spend a couple days prepping and
preserving the meat for a good solid 7-14 day hike between foraging/hunting
times. But this is ideal, and plans never usually work out that way.

Right, and that's exactly the strategy that would have the highest chance of
success.  (Taking deer, anyway.  I don't think I've heard of anyone even
SEEING a wild pig on the PCT.)  The big problem there is legal restrictions
on hunting, of course, and also the enormous weight you'd be dealing with at
the start of your 14-day leg.  A pack animal might help, but then you have
to worry about feeding it, but hey - at least you'd have emergency backup
rations handy.  Just don't get too attached to your four-legged friend, you
know?

Eric