[pct-l] Interested in hiking the PCT one day, where to begin

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 14:14:33 CST 2012

If you're a beginner when it comes to hiking, I'd suggest starting there.  After all, hiking / back packing is THE skill you'll want to master before trying a thru hike.

I'd suggest you start with day hikes that build to short over night back pack trips, that build to longer single night over night back pack trips, that build to 2-3 night back pack trips that build to doing a week long section or three of the PCT to hone your skills.

During these multiple forays into the woods over a few year period, you'll build your back country skills and confidence.  You'll learn how YOU react to situations.  You'll learn about your gear (and likely replace a lot of what you started with).  You'll learn how to deal with heat, cold, rain, bugs, cooking, keeping clean (enough), setting up / breaking down camp in the rain, navigation and all the rest of the skills you'll need on a thru.

You'll learn (quickly) what skills you DON"T have, then figure out how to remedy those deficiencies.  As you learn, you'll have a base of knowledge from which you can then ask higher level questions (e.g. its hard to understand advice about the particulars of gear unless you have experience using gear - the pros and cons of frame less / rucksack back packs versus frame less with hip belts, versus frame sheet packs versus metal or fiberglass internal frame packs versus external frame packs.  Until you've amassed some experience with at least one of these pack types, it's hard to TRULY understand the pros and cons).

Most importantly, from getting out and learning to hike and back pack, you'll learn if you REALLY want to do a thru hike.  And this is the most important aspect.

Standard disclaimers follow:

YMMV.  HYOH.  2 Cents.  Opinions and waste outlets.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Hi! I have been interested in hiking the PCT for a couple of years now and am
finally ready to start preparing! I am a beginner when it comes to hiking
and have been spending the last couple of years getting into great physical
shape so I will be able to complete the trail one day! I am looking for any
advice, pointers, groups to join ect...I want to learn as much as I can and
make my dream of hiking the pct come true! I would appreciate any advice! thank you!!!! Jazmine