[pct-l] feet!

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Nov 7 19:02:03 CST 2012

When you try on a pair of shoes you want to feel them flopping around on
your forefoot and regular fitting around the heel.  You want to feel
like a looney tunes character - well, almost...  You do want your feet
to feel like they're swimming when you try them on. If you feel like
they're way too big, they're about right.

You want to knot your laces so the ball of your foot swims while the
upper part of the foot can be laced tightly for downhill hiking.  I tie
a knot in the middle of my shoe that stays there all the time. My
forefoot can swim that way.

Don't use goretex.  Feet sweat and you don't want to trap moisture in
the shoe.  When they get wet they take much longer to dry.  You can wade
a stream and 15 minutes later change socks and your feet will be clean
and the new socks won't get wet.

Get rid of the insoles of your chosen footwear.  Mount them on the
wall.  Here's a website with a decent selection.

http://www.rei.com/category/12221601

Remember, good insoles are usually thicker than manufacturer insoles.
Another reason to buy looney tunes shoes.

If you haven't got equipment newer than the early 90s, and have a base
pack weight without food or water of 20 pounds or more, don't have
strong ankles (meaning you're not used to walking on uneven surfaces)
get some lightweight fabric boots.  You still want them big in the
forefoot and use insoles.  They provide only minimally more protection
against rolling your ankle - falling off that one inch rock in the
middle of the trail.  But they do provide a little more.

Read Ray Jardine's opinion on shoes.  He shaves off the edges of his
cheap running shoes because you're more likely to roll your ankle when
the sole is wider than your foot.

Just some thoughts, and no claim to truth...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD