[pct-l] No on Proposition Foraging

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 12:32:39 CST 2012

> I wonder how many of the edibles in the "The Forager Harvest" by Samuel Thayer are found near the PCT.

Very few, actually.  You'll find some things like plants of the dandelion group, salsify, and chicory in disturbed places at low elevation.  You'll also find prickly-pear cactus here and there, but the fruits are unlikely to be even remotely ripe during through-hiking season, as they'll still be in flower (unless you're going SoBo).  There are other plants not listed in the book that are still edible:  everlasting pea; western redbud; skunkbush; camas; and skunk cabbage to name a few.  Get your hands on a copy of "Native American Ethnobotany" and then do LOTS of research!  One thing Thayer emphasized VERY strongly and for VERY GOOD reason is that it's CRITICAL