[pct-l] Monkey (9yrs old) is YOUNGEST to complete PCT

Amanda Timeoni amanda.timeoni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 23:08:09 CST 2012

We're not holding these kids to a high standard, their parents are and they
themselves are. Can a 7 year old hold themselves to such a standard? In
Sparrow's Sept. 2011 post entitled "The Pacific Crest Trail" she writes "While
hiking the Timberline Trail this summer, The Barracuda made his intentions
clear. Next year he wanted to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail. He would
be 7 then, a full three years before Mary Chambers (the record holder
currently). He wanted to be the youngest and he thought he could do it."

And then we hear from Barracuda himself "I think that breaking the record
will be exciting and I feel like I've accomplished something. It will be
fun to be able to say that I broke the record."

So, Sparrow tells us through her blog that he intends to break a record.

I came across Sparrow and Barracuda on trail at the Urich Cabin this year,
and the child said to me "I'm going to be the youngest to hike the WHOLE
trail."  At that point I knew they had skipped, but because he is a child I
never questioned it. At the Canadian monument register Sparrow wrote that
"the record has been broken!"  Which is false (unless they went back and
hiked the sections they missed).

Barracuda is still a remarkable boy, but he is not the youngest to hike the
PCT.

Not a Chance