[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] Re: Early planning stages NoBo in Sept 2013

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Sun Nov 11 14:45:37 CST 2012

Ah, you guys are killing me with talk about what we love to do and teach!
Thanks, John, for the bait...

“Early-season” (pre-dry-trail) JMT “hiking” (because it incorporates walking on snow, too) is not only free of “skeeters,” but safe (if savvy) and tremendously rewarding! Sure, suncups are something to dance around, and often you’ll find yourself bitching your way through them, but their formation is fascinating and they make good camera-candy. High creek crossings can be a challenge if you find yourself there after the thaw starts, but the trick is to travel the trail before it does! Don’t like four-legged camp-robbers? Get up in the high country during the “early season” and enjoy all its benefits...like no bears, bugs, dirt, or trails (new thought, uh?)

Hum...May on the PCT/JMT...is this considered “early season?” By many who follow trails they do! Early Explorers, Mountain-men, and Guides who plied their wilderness savvy so long ago (I’m thinking of Kit Carson, among many) didn’t have signed thoroughfares to follow through the mountains and, yet, they knew where they were going. Travelling these high trails year ‘round is not a current idea. The historians among us can easily note several well-known figures who have done just that. People, today, walk and ski the route, but with much caution and training, to say the least. Is it more dangerous? Of course. Can those dangers be minimized or totally avoided? Of course.

It just takes Knowledge, Training, and Experience, each of which can not be eliminated from the equation to build the kind of “mountain-savvy” I’m talking about. Facing the possibility of danger crossing a snow slope or raging creek is not unlike dealing with conflict. First, you’ve got to be aware of and identify its presence. Is this slope avalanche-stable? When was the last snowfall and how thick or heavy was it? What are the layers of snow and ice like in the snowpack beneath me and how well stuck together are they? What is the likelihood the slope can fracture and slide? Are there dangerous aspects to crossing this creek where the summer trail does or should I look elsewhere for a safer, less risky crossing? What are the risks presented to me at this crossing and how can I minimize them? Can the whole thing (slope and creek) be avoided? (Think of the acronym, “STOP,” in these circumstances: Stop, Think, Observe, Plan).

Second, use Knowledge and Training to minimize risk. First, Knowledge: “My Avy-1 instructor taught us about slope stability evaluation techniques. Should I dig a snow pit to check it out before proceeding or do I just blow it off in my hurry or enthusiasm and take my chances?” “I have heard that raging creeks are typically lower water volume during the morning hours, so should I just make camp early and wait or plow on through to make the miles I want?” Now, Training: “When I used my ice axe in my uphill hand while making a steep snow traverse in training, I found that it worked better to initiate a Self-Arrest. I should do that now....” “I found that crossing boulder-strewn swiftwater creeks was safer in durable, predictable footwear rather than without. Maybe I should just keep my boots on and change socks on the other side....” “Wait a minute, everybody. Stop! This slope looks too shiny ahead. Could that be ice? We should put on our traction devices just to be safe.” And this brings up the final aspect to the Safety Equation,

Wisdom.  It has been said that Experience is the product of Knowledge and Training (Practice). Well, in our book, Wisdom is the culmination of them all and the prize desired through Experience. To place yourself in harm’s way, no matter the environment, without the above three, is simply to invite trouble where Wisdom will only be gained after unnecessary self-inflicted harm.

Mountain Education typically teaches our Advanced Snow Skill Courses along the PCT/JMT from Cottonwood to Tioga every year during the months of May and June when there can be 6 to 10 feet of snow covering the summer trail. Ask our students, “Is it dangerous?” “Certainly can be, but we learn to Identify and Avoid, maximizing learning and fun!” would be their answer. If you want this type of mountain experience, so far different from any summer trip, we encourage you to get some training. Many retail outlets, community colleges, private schools, and Universities offer “Outdoor Education” in one form or another. Call and sign up for a course. It will bring you the wisdom, security, and confidence you desire.

Among us are many very snow-savvy mountain-men and women who traverse their way for sport and profession every year amongst the high granite and snow-covered spires that populate the High Sierra and have a blast, but put their Wisdom ahead of their Pleasure while so doing in order to keep enjoying its blessings for years to come. Mr. Dittli is one of the grand masters and I’m sure he can add a lot to this discussion about “early season” JMT travel.

So, in sum, early season sierra “hiking” is not without hazards, but they can all very easily be avoided or at least minimized with Knowledge, Training, and Experience. Get some and go have some worry-free fun out there!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org