[pct-l] Early Start for Through Hike

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 11:54:04 CST 2012

Amy wrote:

I am planning on hiking my first time through the PCT this year, and I would
like to get an early start.  I am able to start by the end of
February/beginning of March.  I was wondering if anyone knows the earliest
time to start a through hike that would still be safe all around.

Starting at that time of year is certainly going to give you serious snow on
the southern California mountains.  I haven't done much hiking down that way
yet but my understanding is that they tend to get a frequent freeze-thaw
cycle which creates a lot of dangerous ice.  Sticking to the trail in those
conditions is probably won't meet a normal person's definition of "safe".  A
lot of the most hazardous sections can be detoured around with road-walking.
And of course you'll run into the Sierra very early as well.

Unless you're experienced in winter mountaineering or like road walking, you
might want to delay your start until at least mid-April.  Late April would
be better, depending on your definition of "safe".

Another alternative, if you can arrange transportation, is to skip around
hiking all of the southern sections that are lower in elevation and
snow-free in March then pick up the mountains later in the year.  You'll
still have the problem of everything from the Sierra northward not being
mostly snow-free until July.

Eric