[pct-l] Early Start for Through Hike

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 14 20:10:13 CST 2012

There is one real parameter that has the potential, year after year, to ruin
every thru hike and that is Powder Snow.

In our maritime snow pack, every thru hiker may contend with two types of
snow, fresh-fallen powder and consolidated, hard-surfaced sierra cement
(technically, 'sierra cement' is really wet snow and can be either powder or
consolidated). In the spring when the pack is receiving longer days of
sunshine and radiation, it settles and becomes harder. When it is like this
(and this can occur after a winter powder storm if there is sufficient
sunlight over time to settle the pack), it is easier to walk on since the
surface has gone through  many freeze-thaw cycles. Therefore, travel over
snow when it has consolidated. We teach advanced snow skills north of
Kennedy Meadows to Kearsarge Pass starting out in early May and can walk on
the snow surface for most of the day.

Comparatively, wallowing through powder snow is exhausting. Snowshoes in
powder don't help much, but you can get to where you're going, just slowly.
We romanticize the idea of snowshoeing and believe it to be a feasible way
to traverse the high sierra, but what we fail to realize is, in powder and
with each step, lots of snow falls on top of the snowshoe and weighs it
down, not to mention that, even with snowshoes on, you'll sink pretty deep
in the pack and have to step up pretty high to clear the snow surface ahead
of your foot. This action is very tiresome and consumes lots of fuel. Your
daily mileage will be cut in half and your caloric needs will double easily.
Thus, stay away from powder. (The subject of avalanche fear is mostly a
non-issue during the Sierra springtime).

Ok, so for all of you planning on thru hiking the Crest or Divide, the
question is, "How early can I start to enable low mileage days throughout,
minimize my contention with powder snow, and arrive in Canada before the
powder snow starts flying again, thereby stopping my forward progress in my
last days?" Therein lies the real stopper, powder snow in the steep North
Cascades. Our advice, plan your hike so that you arrive in Manning before
the powder starts laying down and you can go no further. This date can be
anytime after mid-September. Many have continued on into October with no
issues other than freezing days and nights, but they watch the skies for
storms! An inch or two or four of powder is not the problem, it is the foot
or two or four covering the trail as it snakes along the steep ridges north
of Harts Pass. The trees are dense and the ridges narrow and bail-outs can
be life-threatening. Ask the locals.

So, with the parameter of powder snow arriving in the PNW around
mid-September, your start date will be determined by, as someone said, your
experience in snow (because even the consolidated stuff will cut your miles
in half--plan for a mile/hour). If you have very little training in getting
around in the stuff, you may want to avoid it and start late, but this will
require faster daily speeds since your hiking window is, now, shorter. With
a little training and experience in walking over snow, navigating through it
and below treeline, and knowing how to stay safe, consolidated, spring snow
is not an issue anymore.

Yes, as Ernie said, you may have to carry more safety stuff, but even that
is fun as it allows you to go more places confidently. Why wait for the snow
to melt, then have to haul-ass? Is leaving "early" so bad when it allows
more leisure? And this is where you must ask yourself in the planning
stages, "Why am I doing this?" "What do I want to get out of the
experience?" "How do I want to Hike-my-own-Hike?"

It really is fascinating why people hike for months at a time. The
motivations vary from physical challenge to self-discovery to societal
escape to a Muir-like wander. Just remember in the context of this
discussion, if you don't feel confident with snow-walking, you'll have to
avoid it, either on the trail by road-walking or starting after the stuff
has melted, then walking real fast to get to Canada before the awful white
stuff shows up again. And this isn't a guarantee, either, since it can snow
in the Sierra any month of the year!

Your hike of the Pacific Crest Trail is a once-in-a-lifetime event of such
inner-personal change and impact that you will be a different person at the
other end (no matter how you do it). The longer you can stay on-trail, the
more of it you will absorb. Many great philosophers and Presidents have
extolled the virtues of Wilderness, so plan to spend time in it anyway you
can.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org