[pct-l] Time for new shoes - old ones made 650 miles.... what's available

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Nov 16 20:14:18 CST 2012

It is going to be hard to find trail shoes with NO padding. You may
consider Altra Lone Peaks. The padding you see in the picture looks
way more than they feel in real life. You can actually feel the trail
fairly well under your feet (in other words, rocky trail you feel the
rocks.) I know someone who wore them for the entire CDT. I have worn
them but the ones I bought are a little too small so I need to get
new ones. Another alternative is to contact the shoemaker at
ThoseShoes.com and talk to him. He offered to make me a pair of
custom hiking shoes. I don't know if he can make them with canvas or
only leather though. Also, have you considered good old Chuck Taylors
or skateboard shoes?