[pct-l] Ian...."I'm Fine" GPS phone

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Mon Nov 19 13:27:12 CST 2012

Greg.......in the last 10 years of dealing with PCT hikers and watching
them think they know everything, I've watched many late hikers walk into
dangerous winter situations. They think they are invincible and they will
make it through just fine. We've had 2 winters where Stevens Pass and north
were closed by September 25th because there was so much snow you couldn't
find the trail. Back then the hikers were bunched up and went out in groups
of 4-5 each. They'd start in on one route, come back and hitch down to
Coles Corner and try to go in at Trinity. No go there either. Most of them
after several attempts to find a way ended their hikes and went home. When
Ian left here on Oct 17th we warned him a storm was coming. He had
experienced super good weather the previous part of his whole hike and
figured I was wrong. He got into the blizzard 3 days in and got lost. It
took him 19 days to complete a 5 day hike to Stehekin. I was really
surprised he didn't die out there. Same with SAR. I would like to educate
the inexperienced hikers that when winter hits up here..... that it's not a
walk in a park. Get your butts up here before the snow starts. Lighten up
on your zeros and multi day partying in California. Educate yourself. I am
trying to educate hikers so they don't put friends, family and SAR in a
situation to worry themselves sick.

PCT MOM