[pct-l] raingear

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Nov 24 13:53:58 CST 2012

Good morning,

I have several rain tops made of the popular “breathable” composite fabric,
and I wear them around home because I live in the Pacific NW where we don’t
have occasional rain, we have occasional sun-breaks.  Those “breathable”
fabrics work very well – when they don’t have to.  During short-term
exposure to rain they work, but for extended wear – as in the late season
in Washington – there’s a problem.  They can’t breathe as-advertised when
their outer shell is completely sheeted with water.  Vapor just won’t pass.
The rain won’t get in but like a plastic raincoat, one’s perspiration will
condense on the shoulders, upper arms, and back.  The only functional parts
will be the less saturated areas under the arms and down the sides, etc.  That
helps some, but the penalty is additional weight for marginal improvement.

I find that a very loose, floppy, well-ventilated, waterproof top is best
for me, and under it I wear one or two layers of poly fleece which will
insulate when damp, plus it dries quickly from body heat once the rain
abates.  That’s the reason I don’t carry a down puffy-jacket: When they get
wet, it’s a problem.

I prefer to have a fleece pull-over and a windshirt.  I can wear one, both,
or neither.  First thing on a cold morning I start hiking wearing both.  In
15 minutes the windshirt comes off, and in 30-45 minutes the fleece is off
too.  If I take a break on a high windy pass the windshirt temporarily goes
back on.  A fleece-lined, breathable-fabric jacket can’t be used in such a
versatile way, and they are much heavier.

In most years there’s not much risk of long, soaking rain until north of
Cascade Locks.  The windshirt will turn the typical, afternoon, short-term,
Sierra shower if I happen to be on the random 10% of the trail where it
hits, but mostly it is just refreshing.  If it looks more serious I have a
poncho hood on my shelter tarp that I can huddle under until the front
passes.

Windshirts weigh 3-6 ounces, and mid-weight fleece maybe 10 ounces
depending upon how crazy one gets with unnecessary features like zippers,
pockets, hoods, etc.  I buy cheap-o generic fleece pull-over’s off the sale
rack, or used from the thrift store for $3-5.  After a day or two on the
trail no-one will be concerned about the lack of designer labels or the
fact that it was bought used.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/