[pct-l] Rain Gear

Cat Gunderson cathi at cathigunderson.com
Sun Nov 25 15:26:09 CST 2012

Randy,
I found some great Equinox silnylon rain chaps that weigh less than 3 ounces
and have proven to be tough and, so far, have kept me dry in any of the wet
hiking I've done so far with them. I wear them with a long poncho. Check
them out!

Cat
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth....

I have done a few 8 and 9 day trips here in the North Cascades with my North
Face HyVent 2.5L. The jacket weighs 12.8 oz, which isn't exactly ultralight,
but it has kept me dry in the rain and wind and is very packable (fits in my
outside back pocket). There was one full day of soaking rain that caused
some dampness inside but it was probably a breath-ability issue from wetting
out. I chose this jacket over the Marmot Precip because the sales person
told me the TNF jacket had far fewer returns than the similar weight Marmot
Precip. I'm planning to take this jacket on my thru hike unless someone
enlightens me otherwise (PCT vets, don't hold back, I'm open to advise from
the pros).

I've been getting away with wearing my Patagonia soft shell pants as my
everyday/rain pants but had a humbling experience recently (legs drenched
and cold). I think I'll be going back to the dedicated rain pants. Something
light.

Randy