[pct-l] Bear can requirements clarification

Chris Anderson srhspaded at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 17:40:05 CST 2012

I have heard lots of people talk about foregoing carrying a bear canister and that you don't have to carry one as long as you hike from bear box to bear box in the required sections.  Is there anybody that can clarify whether this is legal or not, since I seem to always be the one that gets caught and nailed for bending the rules.  I checked the governing body's website and it says that it is required to carry and properly use a bear canister, which leads me to believe that i can be stopped and sited for not having one in my backpack.  Just want to be sure.  Thanks.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat!