[pct-l] Sleepin Bag

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Nov 26 09:19:32 CST 2012

On the sleeping bag/price issue.

I started my hike with an older bag that was bulky, very warm and
cheap (I already owned it.) The bulk and the weight wasn't worth the
savings so I bought a down quilt on the Internet in Big Bear for
about $250. It improved my experience and was worth every penny. I
still use it.

After 2 large section hikes to do the whole trail plus numerous other
short section hikes I realized that I never actually wore my down
jacket to hike in. I wore it inside my sleeping bag, or rarely,
sitting around in camp. So I spent another $250 and got a Jacks R
Better wearable quilt (45 degree).

Now when it is cold I have two sleeping bags and sleep as warm as at
home. I can wear it sitting around in camp.  Seemed like a crazy idea
but I've never been warmer while still carrying about 15lbs total
including food and a liter of water.