[pct-l] raingear

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:55:03 CST 2012

> *"Oh with driducks the first thing you do after opening the package is to throw
> away the pants - they are useless."*

I cut up a pair of dri-ducks rainpants to convert them into chaps, and I
like having them in that role.  No worries about ripping out the crotch
area when you've already done that ahead of time intentionally!  :-)  I
like using them in places where I don't want to care about what happens to
them, but they also work fine for rainy walks around home too (just easier
to get on and off, lower bulk to carry in a fanny pack or a pocket if I end
up taking them off).

Lorna mentioned the Packa, and I agree --- it's a great piece of kit. But I
don't think it's a particularly good choice for the PCT, unless you're
section hiking the northern part.  Heck, hiking in Colorado myself last
year (in part on the CT) I didn't particularly miss my Packa, though it
would have been a better choice there.  But for most people, most years,
most of the PCT is a pretty dry experience.  Folks that live where I do
(western WA state) have a hard time prepping properly for that, as deep
down I think it's hard for us to accept how little there is of rain and
dew.   You have to be prepared for it, but you don't have to make gear
choices as if you'll be in constant rain (as you might in western WA).
For the PCT I would omit pack cover of any sort (a thin liner bag is a fine
idea for infrequent use). I would omit any sort of rain pants or chaps or
skirt.  I would tilt my shelter choice more to bug protection (and minimal
weight) than to enduring endless rain.   And then consider adjusting some
of those things north of Cascade Locks, or perhaps Timberline.

Have to agree with Handlebar about the PCT in general --- it's my "local"
trail, but being as objective as possible I still think it's the best!