[pct-l] Night Hiking in the Mojave / Vagrancy Issues

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 21:24:30 CST 2012

/ Yes,
It is very difficult to tell "hiker-trash" from a  "hobo"  or "homeless."
I mean, let's face it, what is the difference between sleeping on the trail
somewhere for 5-6 month or sleeping in an alley somewhere?
Not much,.......except you will never see a self respecting "hobo" or
"homeless"
wear "Gortex".
Another way you can tell a "hobo" or "homeless" from "hiker-trash"  is
cleanliness.
"Homeless seem to be much cleaner.
"Homeless" also seem to look less malnourished and don't have that wild,
deranged,
far away look in their eyes, like "hiker-trash" does.

So you see, unless you know what to look for,.....it is very difficult
to tell a "hobo" or
"homeless" from hiker trash....they are the same breed of cats.
One prowls around in alleys,.... the other prowls around on trails.

JMT Reinhold
Your JMT prowling alley cat
  BF wrote:
.....have any of you PCT thru hikers ever had any //problems with being
confused being homeless during your travels on and off //the trail? /
Radar wrote:
I was viewed as a 'hobo' by the driver who picked me up outside Mojave
on that same trip.
Some people don't seem to even comprehend what backpacking is never
mind the more esoteric experience of long-distance hiking.
Radar