[pct-l] A few gear questions followup

Nathan Adame nathan4517 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 11:48:58 CST 2012

Hello All,
Thank you for the responses.

1st off on my 3 days to town comment. We are at the very beginning stages
of planning our resupply. I just have a simple spreadsheet made up with
distances to each town and playing around with our MPD (Not considering
elevation change) We have Yogi's book we just have not got that into the
resupply yet. See below link for the spreadsheet I made (Just playing
around with the MPD or LBS of food per day, not what is actual planned)
throwing out a "random" number of days was not the best idea.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5_8xtN6lXMWUmIyQm5YWnJ0bjA

As to the Iphone, Many have expressed weight concerns over so
many electronics  To a point I agree but I feel the weight is justified
based on how many functions it can serve. (Map, Internet, Entertainment,
Only Camera, Journal, Web Access, Phone, backup flashlight). After hearing
3-4 days of usage and having two phones I really think we could get away
with either no backup battery or perhaps one that just allows for 1x charge
in case of emergency(Map Access, Phone) However, we will see how things
play out as we nail down our pack weight.

With the tent many suggested bringing a freestanding tent but i feel the
weight savings provided by a tarp outweigh the extra work required to find
a suitable spot. It is just a matter of picking the right tent for us for
this particular adventure.

We are going on a 4 day hike in the Grand Canyon Dec 14th so it will give
us a chance to start fine tuning our gear

Just my 2 cents perhaps I will be eating my words after a few weeks on the
trail

Thanks Again,
Nathan