[pct-l] bear canister v. ursack

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 12:59:41 CST 2012

Carry the canister where required or needed.  Mr. Ranger will be happy and
you'll have one less potential hassle that could ruin your hike.

Everywhere else, carry the odor-proof OP Sack from Loksack. The 12.25 x
20.25 inch bag weighs 0.9 ounces; far lighter than any Ursack and it is easy
to send replacement/spares to each resupply point or keep in your bounce
box. I've used them as both food and trash bags along the PCT and CT. I have
even had bears in Lyell Canyon in Yosemite NP walk right past them in the
dark and never know they were there. CAVEAT: If the critter can SEE the bag,
it might go investigate it, especially if they recognize the contents (and
yes, Yosemite bears recognize Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry
packaging).

You need to protect OP sacks from sharp objects. They are not as robust as
the non-odorproof Aloksaks by the same manufacturer, which are truly
heavy-duty Ziplock-style bags. Aloksaks make great containers for
electronics, 1st aid and repair kits, maps, and other things you want to
stay dry and protected.

http://www.loksak.com/products/opsak