[pct-l] Vagrancy Issues, calve muscles & combat boots

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Nov 28 10:20:23 CST 2012

[pct-l] Night Hiking in the Mojave / Vagrancy Issues

Joan,
What you saw was a "HEAVY TRUCKER."
Heavy Truckers are "Old School" and are known to carry oversize,
heavy packs to be prepared for anything they may or can reasonable
expect to encounter on the trail.
When I hike with my wife or the Scouts, I am a "Heavy Trucker" because
I want to be prepared for anything I can reasonably expect to encounter
on the trail...in other words, I don't take any chances when hiking with
my wife or the Scouts.
However, on my "solo" JMT "fast-packs" I am willing to take chances and
go "UL" to the extreme.

And yes, I do look like a filthy, scroungy rat on those fast packs and
could very easy be mistaken for a "hobo" or "homeless"

Now "SWITCHBACK",...you could never mistake for a "hobo" or "homeless."
Switchbacks wears the finest and most fashionable garments available.
I mean Switchback looks like he just stepped out of a fashion clothing
store, all perfumed up and spick & span clean.
BTW....Switchback also does not have that malnourished look....he appears
to be well nourished.

Say Joan,....Would you pick me up if you saw me, all grubby and scuzzy
looking, but with well developed calve muscles?

Seems like the girls are very fond of calve muscles.

So, if you guys want to increase your chances of getting a ride from a girl
that fancie calve muscles,...."wear combat boots."
Nothing turns women on like "hairy legs in combat boots"....especially if
you have well developed calve muscles.

JMT Reinhold
Your hairy legged trail companion in combat boots
---------------------------------
Joan wrote:
I once drove by an FT thru hiker thinking he must be homeless because
his gear was so oversized and shabby.
Then I saw the muscles in his
calves and turned around and picked him up.
Just one more way to differentiate the homeless from hiker trash.
(In all fairness, his pack weighed more than 60 lbs.)

Joan
-------------------------------------
Reinhold wrote;
Yes,
It is very difficult to tell "hiker-trash" from a "hobo" or "homeless."
I mean, let's face it, what is the difference between sleeping on the
trail somewhere for 5-6 month or sleeping in an alley somewhere?
Not much,.......except you will never see a self respecting "hobo" or
homeless" wear "Gortex".
Another way you can tell a "hobo" or "homeless" from "hiker-trash"  is
cleanliness.
Homeless seem to be much cleaner.
Homeless" also seem to look less malnourished and don't have that wild,
deranged,far away look in their eyes, like "hiker-trash" does.
So you see, unless you know what to look for,it is very difficult to tell
a "hobo" or homeless" from hiker trash...they are the same breed of cats.
One prowls around in alleys,.... the other prowls around on trails.

JMT Reinhold
Your JMT prowling alley cat
  BF wrote:
....have any of you PCT thru hikers ever had any //problems with being
confused being homeless during your travels on and off //the trail? /
Radar wrote:
I was viewed as a 'hobo' by the driver who picked me up outside Mojave
on that same trip.
Some people don't seem to even comprehend what backpacking is never
mind the more esoteric experience of long-distance hiking.
Radar