[pct-l] Night Hiking in the Mojave / Vagrancy Issues

sarah estrella skestrella at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 29 20:23:21 CST 2012

I camped alone in a grove of Joshua trees in the Mojave.  Around 12:30 am, I heard a truck drive by, stop, turn around, drive past me again, stop, turn around, drive past a third time.  I peaked out, fairly terrified, and saw that it was a circa 1960s pickup truck piled high with old tires. They drove around for about an hour.  I couldn't figure out why they didn't just dump the tires and leave.  Then I thought maybe they were collecting them.  Someone suggested later that they were planning on setting them on fire in an attempt to signal a plane for a narcotics drop.  Another suggestion was that they were setting up some sort of ORV course.  All I know is that I didn't get much sleep that night.
FreeRange
>In 2005, H, Whistler and others were night-hiking across the Antelope
>Valley
when a truck (without a driver's side door)
>slowly approached them. They were
all a bit apprehensive. When the driver
>pulled up next to them all he
uttered, in a an apparently
>somwhat Southern accent, was....
"Dummmbasssss".

>Squatch
>www.squatchfilms.com

On Tue,
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com> wrote:

On Nov 26, 2012, at 2:28 PM, BF wrote:
> > I was thinking that
hiking
> > under the full moon for a couple of night might be a way to
conserve
> > moisture.  Anybody ever done this out there?  I know that
Mojave Greens
> > may be an issue.  They're usually bright green during
that time of year
> > and pretty easy to spot during the day, but at
night, that might be a
> > different story.
>
> I'm not a
big night hiking fan but did hike for a couple hours under a
> very full
moon around Kelso Valley Rd. in 2007. At one point I was
> hiking directly
into the rising full moon and it required the use of my
> hat as a 'moon
visor' because the glare/contrast was so great.  There
> was absolutely no
need for a headlamp.

> I found Joshua Trees to be quite spooky in
these lighting conditions!

> The trail is pretty open in the
Mojave area and I doubt that many
> snakes would be out in the open at
night. I never had a encounter with
> snakes at night.  During the day
though...

> > I was wondering if the

opposite ever happens: have any of you PCT thru hikers ever had any

problems with being confused being homeless during your travels on and

off
> > the trail?
>
> I was viewed as a 'hobo' by the
driver who picked me up outside Mojave