[pct-l] Summit Mt Whitney

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 21:27:52 CST 2012

Jonathon,

This summer I rode my horse NOBO from Horseshoe Meadows to Tuolomne Meadows and then descended to Yosemite Valley. Doing that Section finished the PCT for me. I followed the JMT route. I met more than 400 hikers from all over the world who were hiking the JMT SOBO. Most said that they had started in Yosemite Valley. All who I asked, said that they were going to climb Mt. Whitney. Most said that they would be camping at Guitar Lake, which is part way up after leaving the PCT. Guitar Lake is on the JMT - it must get pretty crowded there and on the summit of Whitney since even more climbers come from Whitney Portal, which is to the east. I don't think that a permit is needed if you climb Whitney from the west, as you will. But, better check to be sure. I have climbed it from Whitney Portal three times (before permits were required). I went up the "Mountaineers Route" one of those times, carrying a pack.

Have a great hike,

MendoRider-Hiker