[pct-l] Summit Mt Whitney

Phil Baily pkbaily at verizon.net
Fri Nov 30 13:25:04 CST 2012

You can go up and back in one day from Crabtree Meadows. In normal weather, no special equipment is needed nor is any scrambling required. The trail is easy to follow and walking is straightforward. If I remember correctly, there is good camping at Crabtree Meadows. One can also camp at Guitar Lake (a few miles up the trail to Whitney) or at the summit. There will be a lot of people camped at any of those locations. There is a ranger station at Crabtree; you might be able to leave your pack there. There is also a small tarn alongside the trail just above Guitar. I once camped there, but it was a long time ago and I am not sure whether that is legal now. (I arrived late and left at dawn.) There are also small niches alongside the trail at Trail Crest where people leave their packs while going to the summit. Enjoy!

Pieces