[pct-l] Bear Spray and Snow

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Nov 30 22:02:58 CST 2012

Re: Bear Spray
I brought bear spray to the CDT this summer for some thru-hikers. It
seemed to me that the little pamphlet that comes with the spray is
the more valuable thing, not the actual spray. In fact, if you did
everything the pamphlet told you to do, and didn't do anything it
told you not to do, you probably would never need the spray. It had
photos of what bears look like when they are going to attack, what a
bluff charge looks like, everything. Grizzly bears. That's what the
spray is for. See this page for all the info:
http://www.udap.com/safety.htm

It's not needed for black bears. Those just run away or they just
keep eating your food and ignore you. They don't eat people.

Re: Snow
When I hiked in 2008 and 2009 (and 2010) I didn't have much snow. Ice
axe and crampons were not needed. I did try crampons but they were
too hard to wear walking on bare rock so I removed them just when
they might have been most useful. Mostly the snow is mentally and
physically exhausting and the sun cups suck.

This summer when I hiked with the CDT hikers we climbed Knapsack Col
which was a very steep snowfield. There I was taught by Shroomer how
to walk on the snow. All that former struggling on the PCT snow and
now I finally know how to do it.

Basically, all you have to do is kick your foot into the snow 4 or 5
times until you make a little platform for your foot. Step up and do
the same with the other foot. Trekking poles help you stay attached
and balanced. It's exhausting. I cried because it was scary. But I
didn't need crampons or an ice axe. And it was way better having a
light, small backpack.

See, if this old lady can do it you younguns certainly can.