[pct-l] Burning TP and more

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 13:28:33 CDT 2012

Hi all,
I used to burn TP until I learned (many years back) how dangerous it could
be--just like with lightning strikes, the sparks from buried TP can take hours
to days before bursting into flame. While researching my (upcoming) book on
Patagonia, I learned that the Dec./Jan 2012 forest fire in Torres del Paine,
Chile destroyed more than 7% of the park. A hiker was charged with starting the
fire after his companions said that he had burned used toilet paper and did not
properly put out the resultant flames (the hiker denied this.).

Without going into detail, I want to warn others about the potential hazard of
using leaves and stones in lieu of TP while backpacking--be certain you know the
identity and cleanliness of any "natural" object you use. I came home for a PCT
section hike several years back with an infection that my gynecologist was never
able to diagnosis. Although it was eventually cured, it took weeks to find an
appropriate medication.
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn

Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-san-francisco/susan-alcorn
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and
We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women
Backpackers.