[pct-l] Wife Buy-In and Contracting Biz Prep For Thru Hike

Jesse Baldwin jessembaldwin at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 12:31:37 CDT 2012

Basically, I have a goal of thru-hiking the PCT and it's time to put some meat to it by setting a date. I have chosen 2016 and I have some things to get in order by that time. I own an electrical contracting business, a home, I'm married to a "non-backpacker" wife and I have two sons. My oldest is 17 and almost out of the house (I hope) and the youngest is 6. The youngest will be turning 10 in May of 2016 (hopefully on the trail).
My long-winded-point IS, I did a "Google" search re: wife permission PCT, etc since there is some resistance and mostly incredulity from the spouse. (Not much in the way of search results came up)
I announced the date to her last week, and while watching the Nat Geo PCT doc (little lame, I know) I told her only 300 hundred or so people tried it in a year. She asked "How many people are in the US?" and I responded, "I don't know, around 300 million maybe." She said I should easily be able to figure out my odds for going by using the two figures...

My question is: has anyone else had similar experience with a less than ecstatic partner in fostering buy-in and successfully planning and carrying out a thru-hike?
And/ Or
Does anyone have experience with prepping a contracting (or other small biz) for being away for up to 6 months on a thru-hike?

Thanks in advance!

Jesse Baldwin
Owner
Baldwin Industrial Group
CA C-10 License #925362
www.BaldwinIndustrialGroup.com
www.MammothLakesContractors.com
Ph. (760) 914-2455
53 South Landing Road
Crowley Lake, CA 93546

Thank you for choosing Baldwin Industrial Group!