[pct-l] Forest Service to consider allowing Mtn Bikes on the PCT

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 04:34:29 CDT 2012

Not being a US citizen and not having hiked the PCT my input is probably
limited (particularly, not being a US tax payer I don't subsidise those
organisations charged with making such decisions).

However, some thoughts of fighting such "battles"
1.  the more public the arguments against the change, the more the
"opposition" know about your points, the greater their opportunity to argue
against those points.  So in one regard, being more public with the reasons
not to change allows more people to present arguments against the change
but also allows the mountain bikers the opportunity to counter your points.
 Greater secrecy limits the people involved but provides less opportunities
for Mountain bikers to counter your points.

2.  experts and business.  More experts and people who make money/provide
services who argue how adding mountain bikers would have a negative impact
on the trail/their business.  The generous trail angels can easily become
"businesses" (or "operations") saying they would be ending water
caches/food stops/etc. making sections of the trail un-hikable for many -
because they would not be prepared to support mountain bikers ...

3.  examples (with as much proof as possible) about past irresponsible
behaviour.  Even anecdotal incidents might help.  Showing a danger could
help.  Maybe if that danger could make the decision makers legally liable
for legal action/compensation when accidents happen (i.e. allow cars to
drive at 90mph past hospitals and when accidents happen I would expect the
decision maker becomes somewhat liable).  The possibility of future law
suits might help.

4.  examples of negative impacts on other trails.  Maybe there have been
rejections of mountain bikes on other trails ?

5.  People have said how the mountain bikers already break the rules on the
trail.  Demonstration of how they "give them an inch they take a mile"
might help the bodies concerned realise that permitting bikes on the
non-wilderness will mean they will use the wilderness sections as well
(parts).  Maybe a requirement of additional policing (which costs).

6.  Petitions against permitting mountain bikes.  From the link somebody
else posted it looks like this started as a mountain biker petition.  How
do the numbers work out (e.g. more hikers and sympathisers than mountain
bikers) and do petitions help much - I know that e.g. in UK Planning
Applications a petition with 1000 signatures objecting counts as a single
objection).  Also, for many signing a petition makes then lazy and the
don't also send in a written objection (sort of "I've objected through the
petition so I don't need to write a letter ...").

7.  Politicians (and candidates) ?  Do they carry more weight than general
public ?  I believe many are seeking your votes at the moment so a
commitment to object about the change of use for votes ...

I don't know the consultation process and even if it is
permissible/appropriate for non-US citizens to participate - something I
would be doing if permitted.

(Sorry about the long message - particularly for those with iPhones and
small screens  Particularly as my thoughts might be quite inappropriate for
 US consultation)

Fred