[pct-l] Forest Service to consider allowing Mtn Bikes on the PCT

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Mon Oct 8 12:58:59 CDT 2012

Timothy Nye wrote:

"The response I received was that he felt that the PCTA shouldn't raise the issue because they might lose.  I didn't agree because I felt the passage of time served only to weaken our position. Now that Scout is Chairman of the Board I wonder if the PCTA will take a position one way or another or, if they do, what it might be.  My thought was that wilderness areas should be expanded. However, given their past behavior I'm sure a segment of the bicyclists will violate that prohibition as well.  And why not?  Their past transgressions have been proved to be a winning strategy that was unopposed.  Now may be too late."

Just a couple of points to consider:

One of the recurring issues I have seen here in the Northwest seems to be that mountain bikers and other special interest groups and organizations are usually well-organized and come out in droves when these issues come up, while hikers seem to be not as united.  We should never be afraid of losing if the position we are taking seems worthy, and I encourage all hikers to put there two cents in if this comes up for review.

As for the bad behavior and violation of bicycle prohibitions:  The Forest Service's PCT page has a Trail-Wide PCT Incident Report Form to bring to their attention any non-emergency illegal actions and/or threats to resources and safety.  It may seem like a waste of their time, but it also may be an avenue for us to start documenting violations and creating a record, especially of they are rampant in a particular area.

And lastly, just a question.  If the prohibitions are part of the National Trails Act, does it need Congressional approval to be altered?

Regardless of trail damage and impacts, I think the very essence of a path that allows us to walk over 2000 miles without being disturbed by modern or mechanized forms of travel is something rare and worth preserving.  I don't believe if it is altered, we will ever get it back.