[pct-l] Forest service reconsidering mountain bikes?

Zorglub azorglub at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 20:51:44 CDT 2012

It seems that there is quite a bit of hysteria going on so I figured I'd post my 2 cents.

It seems that the issue of cycling on the PCT brings a few anti bicycles arguments that are worth discussing:
 - cyclists destroy trails.  Well, all the serious studies have shown that on average bicycles impact trails slightly more than hikers and way less than horses.  My unscientific experience is that any trail overused by any group tends to degrade over time.  And nothing degrades a trail more than water running on a badly designed trail.  Frankly, if hikers are okay with horses postholing trails and defecating all over, they should not see much issue with bicycles.  In terms of impact, 95% of cyclists will go out for day trips.  They probably have way less impact on mother nature than hikers camping, burying their TP and cooking by the trail.
 - cyclists will use the PCT to go into Wilderness.  Let me say that bikes should be allowed into Wilderness (as Congress intended), but that's beyond the point.  Frankly, if a cyclist wants to go ride in Wilderness, that same person will ride the PCT whether it's legal or not.  So, legalizing the PCT will not change whether cyclists go ride in the Wilderness.
 - cyclists are hooligans hellbent on hurting other users...  Well, while there may be a few bad apples (like in every group), we all want to have a good time, enjoy nature and otherwise have a good time.  Getting into an accident does not fit in that definition of a good time.  The myth of the cyclist running people off the trail is just a myth which is not supported by statistics.
 - if the PCT is opened to cyclists, then OHV are next.  Nobody's asking for motorized vehicles to be allowed on the PCT and the FS would not allow it anyway.
 - cyclists should build their own trail/will destroy hikers' enjoyment of the trail.  Well, the trail was primarily funded by the taxpayer and as such belongs to all of us.  Therefore, we should all be able to enjoy it as long as we respect it and do not impact it negatively.  A big portion of the PCT will remain in Wilderness where cyclists are not welcome.
 - cyclists have many other miles of trails they can enjoy.  That's simply not true.  Cyclists are banned from 50 million acres of Wilderness in the lower 48 and are probably allowed on less than 40% of all trails that hikers have access to.  We're definitely the 5th wheel of trail users.

Finally, my point is that we have more to gain by working out together a plan for sharing than by fighting it out.  Adding more human powered recreationists will add more money toward the PCT and more hands to maintain it. Furthermore, cyclists do not need/want to have access to every single mile of the PCT.  Many parts of the PCT will have no appeal to cyclists and other parts are also way too crowded already during the summer months, however, it would be just fair to share significant portions.