[pct-l] Mountain Bikes and Trail Damage

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 12:38:01 CDT 2012

Stephen.  My experience on the PCT has been similar to yours. My concern is often especially urgent since I am usually riding a horse. Those bikers who want to go as fast as possible down hills on challenging, curvy, trails are dangerous to equestrians, to hikers, and also to themselves. Some horses might do a BIG spook resulting in injury of even death to themselves and their riders. I will never forget one incident when I was riding down hill on a narrow trail (PCT Section E) when a biker ( I did not even hear his approach) flew around a corner behind us. Primo spooked forward, fortunately. The bike rider was going too fast to stop - so he veered off the trail and crashed into rocks and brush, which stopped him. He didn't go over the steeper drop off. We were both lucky. He was pretty scratched up and hurt his knee. I informed him that he was breaking the law by riding on the PCT. He, a teenager, claimed that he did not know that he was
 breaking any law.

MendoRider-Hiker